Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Recycle It!

As far as I'm concerned, nearly everything in the entertainment industry is a rehash of a done deal.

A majority of the movies in the past few years have been remakes of remakes, a plot idea that's already been done before or the movie is based off of a book. A majority of the time the movie doesn't do the original work justice. It's lacking something, doesn't have the same impact as the original or was clearly intended to "WOW" the audience with explosions, special effects and maybe one or two decent one-liners.

I just finished watching the live action "G.I. Joe" movie and I wasn't impressed at all. Again, Hollywood relies more on flashy special effects, buff bods, and nice sets to fill seats. It amazes me that the movie made as much money as it did because the script was AWFUL! So cliched! And the exact same thing could be said about the latest Wolverine movie.

I know that people have to realize that a script is what makes the movie at the end of the day. Previews that rely mainly on images are pretty much previews for bad movies.

It saddens me, but at the same time it's a bit of a benefit to me as an aspiring screenwriter. What I'm hearing is that I can write a shitty, half-assed script and still get paid. Even though this is something that's become apparent, it's something that I refuse to do. Why go for a 5 when you are more than capable of a 20?

And the same thing can be said of books. It's something I've noticed especially in the dark fantasy genre. Tough-as-nails female bounty hunters trying to solve a "grisly string of supernatural murders" all while dealing with an out of town ex that turns out to be the murderer. And don't get me started on Twilight. It staggers me that the books are as popular as they are and that the movies have done so well. Guess there really is no accounting for taste.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment